NaPoBloMo #30

Here it is.. the last day of November.  When I began the month of posts, I honestly wasn't sure it would work out.  There were days when I'd be in locations with uncertain internet access.  It was still show season and I'd be going into my holiday business season.  It had been a long time since I'd posted regularly.  But here it is..



When I started blogging in 2003, I didn't expect to do it 'forever'.  My lifestyle was much as it is now, here and there, now and then.  It was hard to mantain a conversation with friends when I was moving around so much and gone for so long.  I'll never forget the night I decided to blog.  My friend Cindy and I were at the Tuesday night knitting group.  We belonged to several Yahoo Groups and read them almost everyday.  There were a couple knitting blogs out there and we were definitely fans.  If they could do it, so could we.  Blogging platforms hadn't been written.  The only way to write a blog was to have a personal webpage.  Each day you could add to it.  It was easy to get one through the popular internet providers along with your email for a monthly fee.  AOL and Earthlink had them.  We learned how to use Frontpage and DreamWeaver and worked on uploading at snails pace.  It was all dial up. I played with it for almost a month before uploading my first post.   I called it Smatterings.  It was to be a conversation, a sharing of my days.  It would include knitting and spinning, also my walks and whatever else came to mind.  A bit of this, a bit of that...smatterings of the day.  I never guessed then where it would lead me, the friends I'd make, conversations with family, and the business it would help to launch.  It's been a pleasure, as has this last month.  I've almost let it go a number of times.  There's something about it that draws me back. 

..and here I am.

NaBloPoMo #26

It has been one of those very full days that you just do and get through.  If I weren't participating in the NaBloPo Mo and so close to finishing the month, I'd have let this one go.  The day began when I realized that the alarm hadn't gone off at 6am as it should have.  It isn't my job to set the alarm. Lucky for me that my internal clock works pretty well.  It was still before 6:30 when I checked the time.  We moved a little bit faster.  Our job was only scheduled to take the morning and if everything went as planned, we'd be off the roads before they got too messy from whatever this Thanksgiving storm was throwing our way.  It did, btw, go as planned. Four trees put up, lit and decorated in 2 1/2 hours!  I'm pretty impressed.  

I know that some of you are getting slammed with this storm.  It hasn't been too bad here. So far, we've removed about 1 1/2" of really sloppy, heavy sleet from the drive and cleared the cars, just in case.  Sounds like it is raining now.  My fingers are crossed that it stays that way.  The decorating season has only begun.  Everything is so much easier when it stays above freezing.  Imagine moving hundreds of poinsettias or planting outdoor greenery in freezing temps and frozen snow covered ground.  Leave the pretty snow for another week.

Tonight is about pies.  The apples are peeled and seasoned, the crusts are rolled and the oven almost to temperature.  Got to get back to the kitchen.  Have a good evening, try to stay safe and off the roads, and enjoy your Thanksgiving preparations.  

that was fast!

As it worked out, we got the snow blowers and chains on the tractors in the nick of time.  I hesitate to complain in the light of Buffalo's snow event.  But, when winter made up its mind, it came quickly.  Wednesday morning we had the opportunity to use both. I was happy we'd stuck with our chores.  Even the balsam brush was cut and in the barn before the snow came.  It made loading it into the truck so much easier when the time came to bring it south for the now imminent decorating season.



The pond went from open water to completely covered in 5 days.  Even though it is the right time of year, the freeze seemed faster than usual. Maybe it was that we'd had such unseasonally warm weather the week before.  No more.  


With the pond tucked in for the winter, life around it has to adjust.  While I shoveled the deck, I watched a mink run across the snow covered ice and back, instead of taking the longer shoreline route.  I wonder if the shortcut makes up for his lack of cover.