testing.. warp speed ahead

..not hardly, not speedy, not me.  Testing, for sure.

Lat summer, I brought myself a new floor loom.  I knew then, that I'd most likely have to wait for winter to make time to play.  The extra time indoors is one of the things I love about the coldest part of the season.  I sure didn't think back then, that I would be spending SO much time on snow removal.  Last weekend, I dressed her for the first time.  There is so  much I have much to learn.  Just about everything is new to me.  Ruby Leslie's three day intensive weaving class is scheduled for the first weekend in March.  That makes it especially important that I get busy and familiarize myself with it.  I need to work out the bugs.  



Might as well have fun with my test, no?  I dyed a warp to go with some sock yarn I've been saving for 'just the right thing'.  The Autumn Leaves colorway, has fairly good runs of each color.   I'm loving the stripes.




I know so little and am learning bit by bit how little I know.  My tension is uneven.  I thought I was so careful.  My edges are wobbly.  I'm practicing.  But, I've figured a few things out, too.  

Tonight, the only thing that seems at warp speed is the wind.  It is howling.  Think I'll throw another log on and pour a cup of hot tea.  


Perfect Wednesday

There is something a bit magical in a summer's morning. Maybe it's the light, or the way the warm air carries the scents. Most days, I step outside, stretch my arms and take in the freshness even before I start the coffee. (Not much before, but.. before.)

That said, this morning was glorious. With coffee in hand, I went onto the deck with my new little inkle loom. One cup ran into another, so to speak. I can't begin to explain the attraction. It's fun to watch the colors blend and take shape. It just is.

It doesn't get much better than this. But, there was broccoli to cut, raspberries to pick.. and weeding. Back in the kitchen, the broccoli joined half a sweet onion, some garlic, mushrooms and feta in a quiche. Dinner done. I took the afternoon off and headed to the Old Stone House to spin. Such a lovely place, it feels like it sits on top of the world. My camera was in my bag. I had good intentions. Around 3pm the sky darkened and the rain started. The forecast was ominous, threats of high winds, heavy rain and the possibility of one inch hail. I left without the pictures.

* luckily, we only had rain, some had inches of huge hail and the wind.

** blogged from my cell, not too successfully, lol!

building new tools

It is a slippery slope I'm heading down.  Some of my tools were old and beat up when I got them, and that was a long time ago.  The nails on the raddle were rough and rusty.  The warping board had splinters.  Both were left behind by textile students, unwanted even then.  Free was good.  New is better.

Wednesday I drew out plans for what I wanted.


We picked out the wood and got to work.



I sanded the warping board this morning.  By the time I headed back to the shop with a thermos of hot tea, Chris had given both a coat of finish. 


and the raddle..